Wednesday, March 2, 2011

a brief history

So much has happened since my last blog... Welcome to my new one.
This is going to be me, keeping track of all the medical and physical and some of the emotional and spiritual events of my recent past and present. So first, a little history. Ignore if you already heard this part...

Sometime in 2007 I was diagnosed with DCIS... this is a little self contained cancer
in my left breast. I got a great Dr... Silverstein and he gave me a lumpectomy and a double breast reduction at the same time...and a less than 10% chance of recurrence. Seemed like a big deal at the time. April 2010 I was diagnosed DCIS with INVASIVE breast cancer. Shock, fear, disbelief. Dr Guerra, my breast surgeon recommended a mastectomy and possible chemotherapy/radiation. I wanted none of it.

I decided to do an alternative therapy called Balur in Jakarta... all the details are in my old blog
jakartaroz@blogspot.com

When I got back last summer I had a mammogram that showed no growth of said cancer which by the way is not exactly seeable or feelable... they call it an area of concern. there are tiny crystalizations they suspect to be the margins of the cancer but they can't really see.

So that was a good sign and so I went along for the last 6 months doing balur at home and trying to be healthy, changing my eating habits and started seeing an energy healer that clears old beliefs and trauma on many levels.

March 17 I had a mammogram that showed the area of concern had gotten bigger... not what we wanted to hear. So I have changed plans. My new plan involves a mastectomy with some reconstruction at the same time... I am seeing Dr. Uzzi Reiss, a gynecologist with a very sophisticated approach to causes/prevention of cancer and also anti-aging and some very cutting edge stuff. I have met with the plastic surgeon he recommended, Dr. Lisa Casselith, the surgeon she recommended, Dr. Leslie Memsic and am on a special diet and supplement protocol and that's the deal. I feel like this is my dream team, both the surgeons are super smart and funny and feel like they know exactly what to do...they have worked together so much they have a short hand when talking to each other... I am doing the energy healing stuff with Bo, I have Dr. Bonte, the holistic Dr. who backs everything up and is like a system of checks and balances, Dr. Jameson... the most helpful counselor ( shrink ) ever, Ann Boroch, naturopath and the most supportive family and friends anyone could have.

I feel very comfortable with my plan and am happy about the way everything is unfolding... a few days ago I was feeling scared and confused and having dark thoughts, this proves to have been a big challenge, but everything is working out so nicely and I trust my team and all of my decisions that the dark cloud has mostly fallen away.

There is a lot more to tell but this is just the beginning...


No comments:

Post a Comment